Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Southern Hemisphere

So I had my first experience of a difference between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere...the BIG DIPPER is upside down...now some of you may not know the significance of this constellation in my life and the many arguments I have had regarding its name and size...but I thought it would still be an interesting concept for those whom won't get the joke.

I am back in Iringa and loving it. I have only 4 more Swahili classes before HIV/AIDS training begins and I will be in village starting the 20th of March. My Swahili is coming along well, but I expect when we are joined my the National volunteers and of course when I go to village, it will get even better.

I am still enjoying the amazing hike to Gangalonga rock which has a spectacular view of Iringa and, of course, my home-stay family is amazing. We've been watching the African Soccer Championship thing...I try to explain how unpopular soccer is in the US, but I am surprised to say I am really enjoying it!

Otherwise things are great! 2 have fallen to Malaria, one amoeba and an ear infection, but I am happy and healthy (with a slight cold)

I am sure I will have much more news next week and will get you all up to status on the National volunteers, and I will tell you as soon as I do the village I am going to and any other news.

Hope all is well in the US and life is good!

5 comments:

Jess said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The Big Dipper! Kyler, I feel so close to you now, even though you're half a world away.

UFnAL said...

Hey Buddy!

Big dipper, little dipper, be it up or down may only it's good contents pour down on you. Now for the important question. When the sink drains north vs. south does the water actually drain to the left vs. right? Get back to me on that one please!

Glad you have no ailments worse than a cold. Please have fun over there but with a bit of caution!

I know what you mean about football there. It is fun to watch more than here. All our sports are too commercial. Our players are a bit too into themselves where over there, they have more passion for the sport itself. Oh well, I guess Beckham was certainly commercial.

Starting to taste a bit of Spring. It comes and goes, meaning one day is gorgeous and the next is bitter cold and rainy.

We sure are missing you. How many more days before you come home?

Love,

UFnAL

Lauren Oh! said...

What's that? The LITTLE Dipper, you say??

Lauren Oh! said...

Kyler, I cut off the tip of my finger today! The first thing I thought of was you!

And now we are friends.

pscberlin said...

Hi Kyler,
We had a wonderful time in Florida with your Mom and Dad and loved hearing about this amazing experience. They are definitely having "Kyler withdraw"but they are both doing well.
I can't wait to see your photos, I know they will be spectacular!

I am on the search for one pot recipes for you because your Mother doesn't want you to waste away. We were trying to find easy ones but didn't know if you had access to things like canned tomato paste, or beans or soup. A lot of easy recipes call for this short cut. I know that there are many fresh ingredients so please let me know if there is anything you would like to learn to cook. You do have an amazing chef in the family, but I don't know how Cole would feel about "one pot cooking".

I hope your experience at Village is fabulous and safe (sounds like a
Mom). Please take care of yourself.
Mrs. Falck