Saturday, February 7, 2009

The food!

I realize I have not told you all much about my living conditions and life in general. So starting now I will tell you about a few things you may wish to know about.

The food is interesting. Rather repetative, but good. Except of course the most recent meal I had at a restaurant that caused me to have two days of close contact with the choo. (I am feeling better now!) We eat a lot of rice and ugali which is a rice like carb made from maize. Here in Njombe there is a lot more food since I have a mother where in Irtinga it is just my brothers. They do not like how little I eat which is difficult especially when you are ill. PLEASE NO MORE! In Njombe they use a lot of curry and peppers. The other day I hade ndizi soup...banana stew. It was not sweet and looked more like bodily fluids of the bad kind than anything else. (Sorry for those with weak stomachs.) Other things like goat and chicken are rather good just beware of the bones. Everything is cooked peanut or sunflowwer oil and often tastes greasy. Also there are things cause chipate which are corn flower pancake like things...they are good when made well and difficult to swallow when too greasy. They make a lot of things in this sauce which is basically tomatoe onion peppers and oil...then they put potatioes, fish, chicken, or the meat of choice in it! That is where the repetition comes in. There is a lot of great fresh fruit, passion fruit, pineapple, mango, etc. It is great! I am liking it but definately losing weight.
Feel free to drop in any question you have about the food!
Also let me know what else you want to know about fro future topics!!!!

9 comments:

Khari said...

Does anyone have pets? Do you see dogs? Have you been out in the wilderness? Do people have gardens? Are there markets for buying food? How is your solar panel?

Mom sent off your movie (today, I think).

Jess said...

Sounds like they're keeping you well fed! I got your email, and I replied to it with some helpful advice. So check your email if you can!
I was asked to model for a photo shoot recently, and it made me get all nostalgic for this summer, when you would take pictures of us and we would all look amazingly beautiful. Or, you know, the time you wrapped me in newspaper and dunked me in the bathtub... that was fun too.

UFnAL said...

Hey Buddy,

Keep the Cypro handy and take it even after you feel better! I know it is no picnic either but please you don't want to bring any of those freeloaders back! We are thinking of you constantly!

Love,

UF

Kim said...

What does your house look like? I keep picturing the stereotypical African hut, but I'm sure I'm off. Also, how is the Swahili going? Do a lot of people speak English too? When do you start teaching?

PS- We learned Margaritas in class today. a "Naked" Margarita has no salt on the rim. Our teacher then jokingly warned not to put too much tequila in, since the result is usually nakedness...I laughed a little too hard.

Unknown said...

Hi Kylar' I,m glad you,re trying a lot of foods. When you come home we can have a food tasting. You can make us some rice dishes.
Glad things are going well. Be encouraged. I'm very proud of you and I hope this gets posted.
Love
Bon

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Have you had cat stew yet? I hear it's delicious.

How often will you be moving around? How is the Swahili coming? Are you going to come back married with a clan or should I not hope for that?

miss you!
Bran Muffin

Lauren Oh! said...

Continuing from Khari's queries:

Have you seen zebras? Have you eaten zebras?? (Because I won't forgive you if you have!) How many cars are there? How safe is it to go out at night? Do you stand out? Do you still have hair? Where do your internets come from? Do people make fun of your nub, and are you telling inaccurate but daring tales of how it was lost (because I won't tell)? How do you spend your afternoons? What time does everyone wake up? How hot is it? Is there a Tanzanian bobsledding team, and are you helping them make a big Hollywood movie? What does your bed look like? Are there snakes? Is there a snake behind you right now, but don't look because he'll aim for your eyes!!?

Kyler said...

I am in Njombe is rainy and hot...no zebras yes markets the houses are not huts yet...swahili is going well...we are call mwazungus white people because we stick out like soar thumbs...not snakes yet...some people speak english...the markets are crazy and you can easily be ripped off...more to come...dogs are treated like crap but they have them...no names...they think i'm wierd that i have pics of mine. bye