Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Stage 2

We have just begun HIV/AIDS training yesterday. We moved down the hill in Iringa and are living on a campus like thing. I am staying with teh 70 Tanzanians and taking class learing about Sexual Reproductive Health. It is rather interesting to see what they know and don't know and also how they perceive "Wazungus" white people. They have some crazy things to say about us and man does Mass Media taint our image...but they are getting to know us better I think.
My Brother from Iringa did not get into SPW which was rather sad, but there are a lot of really great potential partners. As the only guy on the trip, I am the only oppurtunity they have to go to villiage with an International Volunteer. I am getting to know a lot of them and look forward to villiage even more. Now that I know there are some great potential partners, I am ready to get moving.
The classes are fine, but obviously there is some very basic review going on. These 3 weeks will be great for my Kiswahili and I am sure there will be a lot of benefit once we get past the basics. I had my first acting experience in Tanzania yesterday doing a role play of how we perceived the Tanzanian Family. I played the father and it seems I got it right... there were many laughs as I sat watching TV and saying "nzuri"-good- to almost every question I was asked. It was a lot of fun and I think they appreciated the comedy and spoof on their lifestyle (although that was not far from the truth with my Njombe family where Baba (father) was on the couch rather silent and demanding food). I am getting along really well with the National Volunteers!

I am sure you want to know about the safari as well. IT WAS AMAZING!!! 8 of us got a truck and a great guide recommended to us by some local ex-peace corp and headed to RUaha National Park. We say 3 simbas...no I am not making a bad Lion King reference, lion in Kiswahili is simba...punda milia (zebra), twiga (giraffe)...tembo (elephant)...warthogs, hippo, crocadile, crazy looking birds and so much more...it was great and I have some good photos...We were so close to one lion it was amazing!

I am living further from Internet so blogging will be harder so be sure to post a lot and I will answer questions etc when I can... Post a lot...I love to read your comments... aslo if you have gmail and can go online around 10ish that is when I am on so maybe we can g-chat!
bye

6 comments:

Kim said...

A little taste of New England to cool you off on a warm jungle night...

Everything in Connecticut is silver: the ground, the sky, even the air. It's been a cold winter, and yesterday it snowed ten-inches. When it snows, it coats the hills of the woods in the back of my house, and I can see each individual trunk against the white, and the forest seems deeper.

I had the car these past few days since my parents are in Disney World with my brother (seems everyone is going to Florida this year ;-) hehe). Anyway, the other day I drove the backroads around the local reservoir while playing movie soundtracks. I was imagining I was in some Indie flick being filmed in Sepia tones, driving dramatically while the director took artsy shots of the sun flickering in and out of branches. (This is what happens when you're bored in CT... you resort to hallucinated movie sequences)

Everything is so quiet! I mean, I know, I'm in the woods, but still! Even New York is on mute! People walk through the streets in their grey tones and black puffer coats, no color except the blinding red of the coke ad in Times Square, like something out a M. Night Shamalan film. And yet, except for the occasional taxi cab beep or homeless man's change jingling, the city is silent. Or maybe I've gotten used to the noise. I envy the noises you hear, more than I envy the sights you have captured on your camera. What do you hear when that big orange sun sets behind that iconic silhouetted tree? What soundtracks do you imagine when you're living your epic?

Winter days are slow and silver. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a feeling I'm not used to. In spring, the color and the noise will begin again, and something will happen. Life will speed up again, and I will be ready for it.

Until then, I spend my days dreaming up ways to make money. The other day I literally sang for my supper: $100 to perform at an assisted living community. Not bad. Maybe I'll get a reputation and start touring old people's homes. Maybe I'll have my own silver-haired groupies!

Three days a week I go into NYC to rehearse Homeward Bound, which is going well. Although, I miss crazy Emerson rehearsals! I also miss venting to you over chocolate chip cookies. You have to get back here so I have someone to bitch too about lousy theater!

Keep writing as much as you can, and keep taking pictures! I'm always on my computer so I'll keep in mind g-mail chat. Do you mean 10pm our time or 10pm your time?

Take care!

Chelsea said...

Kyler!

I am so happy for you. I just told Nick Chris and Nate all about your African Adventures tonight. I'm in a show that Nick is directing and it's a swell time.

Emma came to visit last weekend! I'm also in Megan's thesis project which is really neat and I think you'd love what we're trying to do. It's all about nature as therapy and getting close to the environment in order to have a better understanding of ourselves. You know...all that sort of stuff.

When are we going to see pictures of your exploits?!

ahhh! I miss you so much! And again...I'm so glad you're having such a grand time.

UFnAL said...

Hey Buddy,

Just read your blog and cannot get "In the jungle, the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight" out of my mind. Oh God, here comes the weena, wappas now too!
You have heard of that song haven't you, or is it too old?

I am guessing you are nearly fluent in the language by now? Do you speak english at all when you go to the town or can you totally get by without it?

We got snow last Sunday and this coming Sunday it is to be 72f/22c. I guess it is that time of year. I am guessing it will start getting warmer there too. You are so close to the equator, does it have much change at all?

I will be looking forward to seeing all your pictures from the trip. I am guessing that will take quite a while.

I am off to Hong Kong but I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Be safe!

Love,

UF

Kim said...

I thought you should see how well Musical Theater is progressing in the United States while your gone. This little gem is called "The Ten Commandments: THE MUSICAL!" with Val Kilmer reprising his Prince of Egypt role as Moses... and you thought you only had Fiddler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9JqIDffAw

PS-Watch how Joshua totally cuts Moses off: "Wow, dude, its not like I was in the middle of addressing the whole Hebrew Nation, but sure, jump right in, they'll be your damn problem in the promise land anyway, so hell, knock yourself out!...(mumble) asshole..."

Jess said...

Your adventures, as always, sound amazing. Wish I could be there with you. And make sure you take lots of pictures!
That's right, you have received compliments from new fans! I recently posted one of our summer photo shoots (me and Kim on the wharf) up on facebook, and everybody I know is commenting on how great a photographer you are. So how's that for an ego booster?
Miss you like a lumberjack misses flannel in Hawaii.

Khari said...

Kyler!

How are you?! I am on Spring break...whoo hoo. Hannah came to visit for a few days we had a nice time between Miami and Wellington. We were entertained by some interesting Miami folk on the streets. We had some fun dinners, got a little too much sun, but found a lovely beach to go to. (I do mean found because I think it was my first Miami beach adventure).

I turned in my meatpacking paper. (I'm not sending it to you...its 51 pages). You will be in suspense I know, but it will be here for you when you return ;) (great right...I know you can't wait). I have a lovely exciting new idea for post-graduation for myself...

Hope things are good otherwise.

Can I comment on "comments"? Kim, Is that really Val Kilmer in that youtube video? He looks awkward no? He doesn't handle waiting for other people to sing very well. Those are my highly uneducated thoughts on the matter anyway.

Love you -- Kyler!