Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Waterfall

Here in Njombe there is a huge beautiful waterfall! We went there the other day with my homestay brother and had a wonderful time. The other day, however, I met a few Tanzanians Israel, Mark, and Eric who decided to take me and a few friends to the waterfall again, but they took us on a great adventure into the brush and down stream. We had such a great time. We were climbing trees to cross the river and jumping rocks! It was a lot of fun!
Njombe is a smaller town with many less mwazungus (white people) so we are a bit more of a surprise to the children and some adults too. There are quite a few Peace Corp people here as well but they do not come to town very often. I leave here tomorrow to return to Iringa where I will live with my homestay brothers for another 2 weeks. Then we have the HIV/AIDS training with the Tanzanian volunteers before we head to villiage. I am getting a bit antsie (sp. sorry) but having spoken to Peace Corp people, they say it is natural and to use this time wisely so villiage will be even better.

Now I though I should answer your questions:

Does anyone have pets?- yes but they have dogs but they are treated poorly- cats very few...pigs kuku (chicken) ng'ombe (cow) all for milk or food

Have you been out in the wilderness? yes-ish I have been hiking a lot to the waterfall in Njombe and the big rock in Iringa which was absaluly beautiful as well

Do people have gardens? yes, but my families do not
Are there markets for buying food? all over the place! the market is crazy and a lot of fun but I as a mwazungu must beware of being ripped off...they have fruit, fish, spices 2nd hand clothes (A LOT) all sorts of fresh great stuff

How is your solar panel? I don't know yet!

What does your house look like? they are nice...no shacks like you may have been imagining at least not in town! Here they have the drop toilets and multiple rooms my home in Iringa is an apartment and in Njombe it is house- rather large actually I will take pics...I should be expecting a lot less in villiage though especially the toilet situation

How often will you be moving around? 2 weeks Iringa then I was in Njombe for 2 weeks 4 weeks in Iringa again...then i will move to village but I have no idea where that will be !

How is the Swahili coming? Mimi ninafurahi. Nitapoenda Iringa, nitakuwa na wiki mbili kwa Kiswahili. Halafu nitakuwa fluent? (I am happy. WHen I go to Iringa I will have 2 weeks of Swahili then i will be fluent). OK...I can get around

Are you going to come back married with a clan or should I not hope for that? I am leaving my options open...haha...unlikely

Have you seen zebras? NO...not yet maybe next week I will go to Ruaha national park near Iringa...they have the largest population of tembo (elephant) in Tanzania.

Have you eaten zebras?? Kitimoto(pork) ng'ombe(cow)...na kuku(chicken) not zebra

How many cars are there? in town quite a few but there is no rush hour or anything

How safe is it to go out at night? Irninga is fine Njombe is a bit creepy, but it is fine...we go in twos...if we are to many people we stand out BADLY

Do you stand out? ummm.....YES

Do you still have hair? yes I have not shaved in 2 weeks and my hair is still growing

Where do your internets come from? cafes around town

Do people make fun of your nub, and are you telling inaccurate but daring tales of how it was lost (because I won't tell)? yes I had a few people whop fell hard for the shark dving story!

How do you spend your afternoons? school...talking...walking around town...and HIKING YEAH

What time does everyone wake up? me: 630 aahhh them: earlier How hot is it? wet and rainy and cold-er in Njombe...Iringa is rather hot

Is there a Tanzanian bobsledding team, and are you helping them make a big Hollywood movie? I wish....

What does your bed look like? a bed

4 comments:

Kim said...

First of all, yesterday was the Guiness Toast where everyone at 11 pm made a toast with a Guiness pint worldwide. So happy belated Guiness Toast Day!

I'm glad to hear you're going on adventures. The waterfall sounds beautiful! All these stories just make me want to see your photos even more! Did you tell your family about your theater and photography background? What do they think about it? What is theater like there?

I'm wired. I just watched 7 episodes of Heroes Season 1 straight (I'm trying to catch up on my prime time tv while I have the chance. Next show on my list is Lost). I am now officially a trained bartender, so hopefully I'll be getting a job soon and making the big bucks! Woohoo! Money money money moooneeeey... MONEY!... Chelsea and I are going to open a bar Coyote Ugly style, just so you know.

Jess said...

New question: Has a zebra kicked your ass yet? I hear those things are MEAN.

Glad to hear you're hiking and seeing beautiful environs. You better be taking pictures of all these waterfalls and rocks, because my inner hiker intends to live vicariously through you. Miss you!
~J

Chelsea said...

Um my favorite question is "What is your bed like?". Thank god you answered that, otherwise I would have worried.

Why haven't you seduced a beautiful princess yet?! PLEASE GET ON THAT.

I want to come visit you. I know that's impossible, but it would be great!!! Oh. If you get the chance you should watch the trailer for a movie called "Donkey Punch". I definitely think it's up your alley.

Lauren Oh! said...

Thanks for answering all those questions.

But I almost forget the most important question: are there plangones in Africa??